Friday 6 January 2012

Today's find for daffodils

I am making a gift for a lady who helped me out with an operation I recently had, it's a calendar that I am illustrating (a small one), It will be historical, naturally.
*:P*
(that's me sticking my tongue out at education, or my school...whichever, and whoever, is so against the historical. Don't get me wrong, I see why it must be contemporary, they want it to be creative.)

Anyway, I was looking for some daffodil print I could use for the month of March, according to some it is the flower of the moth. I don't have too much time to finish it,  unfortunately, I can't keep one day for one illustration, so I might have to draw the print down or something similar.




"Daffodil textile, 1883–1900
Associated Artists (New York City, 1883–1907)
Printed cotton velvet
32 1/2 x 37 in. (82.6 x 94 cm)
Gift of Mrs. Boudinot Keith, 1928 (28.70.25)

Associated Artists designed a number of patterns to be printed on cotton velvets and velveteens. The use of a pile fabric as the ground for a printed pattern was relatively innovative at the time. On fabrics such as these, the three-dimensional texture and the light reflecting from the surface of the pile contribute to the decorative effect of the design. This pattern of daffodils, depicted with sinuous curving stems and leaves, is one of the firm's designs closest in spirit to the Art Nouveau style. A sense of rapid movement pervades the boldly drawn, naturalistic blossoms twisting and turning in all directions, as if caught on a windy spring day."


No comments:

Post a Comment