Monday 20 June 2011

Protection for all... a knight's pride!

Chainmaille (mail/chain mail armour)!
Before I came away from Edinburgh for my summer holiday Amber started making chainmail shorts for her project (the White Knight from Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There) and I was allowed to help. I must say that it was very exciting; although, I didn't help as much as I had wanted to.

We made it out of blue florist's wire, which we wound round a wooden rod with an electric screwdriver. Then we cut out small metal rings out of these wound wires, which strikingly enough, would have been perfect for elements of a Cyber Goth's dread falls.
Then we continued by enclosing 4 links onto one closed ring, then attaching 2 of these "fours" together with 2 rings.
We were working on them while playing Settlers of Catan after our "Taco Night" (the four of us: Amber, Linda, Guillaume and me), I must say we all slowly got pulled in more and more by our craftsmenship. xD
Guild of the Metallic Blue Florist Wire.
We didn't even realise that Linda had already 14 points; thus, had won the game.


I believe they used this video as reference to make chainmaille.

More to come later!

Note: Dear reader, pray tell me, what a knight's true pride is.

And on a side note, if you know Hungarian, it is absolutely worth it to read Popper Péter's book: Lélekrágcsálók.
Also, check out The Hungarican Chick's: The Benefits of the Bib Front (Amber found this amazing blog for me ;)).

No comments:

Post a Comment