Friday 2 September 2011

"I am interested in the History of Fashion because..."

At this very moment, that which leads me in this direction is my love for history, the interest in societal structures, lifestyles, characters, personalities, emotions... all these seen always, even if one tries to avoid it, in one's garments. The Art of clothing one's-self, the use of and invention of certain instruments to achieve it are fascinating as they are, but indeed, there is still more to it. Why is it that we recognise all the stereotypes when we watch a movie, be it historical or not? Because along with the actor's talent at conveying the character's posture and attitude, it is in fact the clothes that we notice right away (or the lack thereof, excuse the imprudence :D). With that I have also revealed my other reason for learning about the History of Fashion, which is due to my aspiration to be a costume designer (and maker) one day, and as a side-note: I am obsessed with historical accuracy.


I do hope you shall excuse me, but I feel I must allow myself to  mumble for a bit...
It is a celebratory beginning to Tara Maginnis' online course at www.costumes.org for me, why so? It is due to my absolutely lazy-self, who can come up with a million other ways to be useful to others instead of being useful to herself, now this lazy being has at last started this. I should indeed be vexed at myself. However, let us look at it in a positive way and state that I am actually starting, because I have had enough of always tormenting myself for all my mistakes.

Well, dear reader, my timid-self shall go cook dinner, while continuing the online course.
More to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment