Friday 14 October 2011

Ancient Greek Embroidery

Here is a little embroidery fun I was having, I took this feathery floral detail from the picture of an “Embroidered Fragment from Kertch” (Greek Dress by E.B. Abrahams) the pattern of which I tried to complete on my sketchbook and explored it through different embroidery techniques, some that I knew, and some that were new to me.

These floral designs are said to be the regular type of decoration.

According to Abrahams the “designs so commonly used for the decoration of pottery were employed also in textile arts” this “is proved by some of the fragments found at Kertch. Quite considerable remains were found of a piece of woollen material elaborately embroidered with a large floral design [seen left] the main motiveof which is a graceful palmette, ffrom the base of which spring spirals terminating in heart-shaped leaves and flowers. The design is executed in gold and green on a violet ground.”

No comments:

Post a Comment