Thursday 6 October 2011

Contemporary Greek Fashion Designers, thoughts, thoughts...

How much contemporary would you go?


So I have decided, contemporary it shall be.
I have two options: 

  • contemporary with an Ancient  Greek twist
  • or Ancient Greek with a contemporary twist
Personally I am more drawn towards the historical with a contemporary twist, why? Because as much as I have tried in this project to defy my own taste and style, it has been only making me reach low points after low point. And I find myself restrained by these things, so yet again I am persuaded that my own judgement should have been taken into count all along. Oh well, all I am doing now is experimenting, trying to figure out what is my way of researching and development, and such.
Most importantly I am not aspiring to be a fashion designer, in which case I feel the most appropriate would be the contemporary with a historical twist.


So... after all the emotional blabber, let us look at the greatly celebrated contemporary:


Greek Fashion Today


On a language based learning site Lingualearn, I found a list of fashion and beauty related links, all in Greek. Ialso remebered a poster I saw in the library advertising Berg Fashion Library, this was last Firday and I forgot about looking at it, I will have to figure out if the school is subscribed to the site, because then we could access some very nice information. Why else would the poster be out, right?


Greek Fashion Inspiration, about the 2005(?) October Fashion week by the American Greek Community. I liked Japanese Haper's Bazaar's Maeda Ichikawa's comment on the show: "Basically, they need to learn how to edit, how to show, and to figure out who their customer is." I have to do the same in a way.

13th Athens Fashion Week, April 20-22 2011
This year's Fashion Week was the 13th, according to an article, it showed great optimism and confidence for the future, in the shade of the debt crisis. The Mayor of Athens invited all the guests to "special party which aims to promote Athens as a city which dares to embrace new ideas and move forward, supporting creativity and cultural expression"
Dimitris Dassios is one of the well-known Greek designers, his sculptural designs "Arabesque" for the 13th Athens Fashion Week really caught my attention with their flamboyant richness.




Contemporary, contemporary,
brings us to the deep,
low points of our days,
as we strap ourselves in restraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment